Thursday, October 29, 2020
No menu items!

Boston Marathon bomber should not have been tried in traumatized city, lawyer argues

Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s lawyer on Thursday (December 12) asked a federal appeals court to overturn his death sentence, saying it was handed down by a biased jury in a traumatized city with at least one member who discussed the case on social media.

Lawyer Daniel Habib argued before a three-judge panel in a Boston courthouse less than two miles (3.2 km) from the site of the bombing that the publicity and manhunt leading to Tsarnaev’s capture in April 2013 biased the pool of jurors who joined the unanimous vote for the death penalty.

He noted that Tsarnaev’s defenders had asked the court to move the trial out of the city to avoid intense emotions that prompted one juror to tell a friend on social media that sitting in the courtroom with the suspect during jury selection was “legit crazy.”

That person was picked for the jury, which they then revealed to a friend on social media who advised them “play the part, get on the jury and send Tsarnaev to prison where he will be taken care of.”

Habib said that the judge had been alerted about the messages and seated the juror anyway, which he called “constitutionally intolerable.”

The then-19-year-old Tsarnaev and his 26-year-old brother Tamerlan sparked five days of panic in Boston when they detonated a pair of homemade pressure cooker bombs at the marathon’s finish line, killing three people and injuring more than 200.

The pair eluded capture for days, punctuated by a gunbattle with police in Watertown, Massachusetts, in which Tamerlan was killed. Boston and most of its suburbs were locked down for a day as armed officers and troops conducted a house-to-house search for Dzhokhar.

The city erupted in celebration after his capture, and Habib said, “This community atmosphere filtered to the actual jury.”

Tsarnaev, now 26, was sentenced to death in 2015 after a jury found him guilty of killing three people in the April 15, 2013 bombing – Martin Richard, 8; Chinese exchange student Lingzi Lu, 26, and restaurant manager Krystle Campbell – and murdering Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer Sean Collier, 26, three days later as the brothers attempted to flee.

Tsarnaev was expected to be present for oral arguments before a panel of the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Federal prosecutors were due to make their arguments later in the day.

U.S. Justice Department lawyers say Tsarnaev received a fair trial and the jury was picked from a population mostly opposed to the death penalty. During his trial, a poll by the Boston Globe showed that about two-thirds of Massachusetts residents favored a life sentence for Tsarnaev.

During the trial, the family of the youngest victim, Richard, also asked prosecutors to consider taking the death penalty off the table.

(Production: Soren Larson)

Latest News

A man left in critical condition after a crash involving an 18-wheeler

 The Houston police say a man was left in critical condition last night after a crash involving...

ExxonMobil to layoff thousands of employees

IRVING, TX - As part of an extensive global review announced earlier this year, the company plans to reduce staffing levels...

“If Florida goes blue, it’s over” Biden tells Florida voters

Democratic presidential candidate, former Vice President Joe Biden, told Florida voters on Thursday (October 29) "If Florida goes blue, it's over."

Abbott Continues Fight to Oppose The Defunding of Police

HOUSTON, TX - Gov. Greg Abbott is continuing his fight to halt efforts to defund the police department.

Gov. Greg Abbott to possibly deploy the Texas National Guard on Election Day

AUSTIN, TX - Gov. Greg Abbott announced plans to possibly deploy the Texas Army National Guard across the state of Texas...

More Articles Like This