At least 22 people died after drinking toxic liquor in India’s northern Aligarh city, officials said on Saturday (May 29).
People who consumed the liquor had bought the product from licensed vendors, including patient Nitu Tiwari who was undergoing treatment in hospital after suffering ill effects.
Five people were arrested in connection with the case, according to local media. The liquor samples were sent for testing and an investigation is underway.
Deaths from drinking toxic liquor are common in India, where the poor often drink country-made liquor that is cheaper than regulated alcohol.
Often methanol, a toxic form of alcohol used as an anti-freeze or fuel, is added to low-quality liquor as it is a cheap and quick way increasing its alcohol content.
(Production: Kristian Brunse, Hazem Sika)