Lionel Messi wept on Sunday (August 8) as he bade farewell to his boyhood team FC Barcelona and confirmed he was talking with French club Paris St Germain over a possible move.
The 34-year-old Argentine’s emotional news conference followed Barca’s announcement last week that it could no longer afford him after a glittering two decades.
French newspaper L’Equipe reported on Sunday that he will travel to Paris either Sunday or Monday (August 9) to undertake a medical and finalize a deal with the Qatar Sports Investment-owned club.
While Messi did not confirm he would definitely join the Parisians, he said his plans were to carry on playing as long as possible, adding he still harbors ambitions to win another Champions League trophy.
“It is very difficult for me after so many years, after spending my whole life here, I was not prepared for this,” he told a news conference.
“I don’t have anything arranged with anyone. It is true that when the press release came out I had many calls, several clubs that were interested, and nothing, I still do not have anything closed.”
PSG declined to comment on the report that Messi would be arriving in Paris later on Sunday. “We are not in a position to confirm anything,” a club spokesman said.
“I tried to behave with humility and respect and I hope that is what remains of me when I leave the club,” said an emotional Messi as hundreds of fans, many wearing his No. 10 jersey, massed outside Barca’s Camp Nou stadium to bid farewell to the player they called Messiah.
Messi broke down as he walked onto the stage before conducting his news conference and was handed a tissue by his wife Antonella Roccuzzo as he fought back the tears.
It had been widely reported by local media that Messi was set to stay at Camp Nou, with the player admitting he had agreed to a five-year deal involving a 50% pay-cut.
Barca, whose debts total way over 1 billion euros ($1.18 billion dollars), were unable to make the deal work within the frameworks of La Liga’s financial fair play regulations – prompting their surprise U-turn announcement last Thursday.
La Liga announced last Wednesday that it had secured a private equity injection of 2.7 billion euros from firm CVC with the funds to be shared amongst the clubs in return for a 10% of the league’s revenue.
It had been believed this would allow Barcelona to get the Messi deal over the line, however after Real Madrid rejected the proposal and said they would take legal action against La Liga, Barca also came out against it.
Laporta told a news conference on Friday (August 6) that Barca’s finances were in worse shape than he had thought after conducting an audit
He added the league informed him that accepting this injection was the only way they would approve a new contract for Messi, but rejected that saying he had to put the long-term interests of the club above any player.
Messi, Barca’s all-time goalscorer with 682 in 21 years, broke down in tears before giving a speech and was greeted by a lengthy standing ovation from the media, current and former team mates and coaches in attendance.
It was noticeable that he was not accompanied by Laporta or any of the other Barcelona directors during the act.
All 35 trophies he won during his time at the club were laid out for what the club described would be a private photo session after the news conference.
(Production: Jordi Rubio, Luis Felipe Castilleja, Elena Rodriguez)